Details: Continue at your own risk...
I didn't go into labor on my own so my doctor scheduled me to be induced on Friday, December 11th. My mom came down from Ogden the night before because they were going to call us early to go into the hospital. I was so happy she was there. Steve and I were both so nervous! We got a call about 5am to come in anytime before 7am. We woke up my mom and then both took a shower. I even shaved my legs and painted my toenails. Because the nurses and doctors were really going to notice a little hair stubble and chipped nail polish when I had a human being coming out of me. :) We got to the hospital about 6:45am and checked in. They got me dressed and an IV going and then started the pitocin. It took about 2 hours before I really started feeling anything somewhat strong. I went another 3ish hours and hadn't progressed very much so the doctor decided to break my water to see if that would help any. They kept asking if I wanted an epidural but I wanted to try and do it naturally. About 2 hours later I was in A LOT of pain. The contractions were getting really strong. The doctor came in to check me and I dilated to an 7. He said at the rate I was going I probably had another 5-6 hours. After he left I broke down. "I cannot do this for 6 more hours!" The nurse and my mom both said they thought the doctor was wrong and it would happen a lot sooner than that. But all that was real to me then was how much pain I was in. I finally gave in and got an epidural. After 7ish hours I was starting to get really tired and didn't think I could go another 6 hours. So I got the epidural (even though I knew my mom would be disappointed). It was heaven after that. Especially since about 15 minutes after I had the drugs Steve mom, sister Jessica and brother David came to see me. That would have been really awkward if I was still going natural because I probably would have screamed for them to get out. Steve was also very relieved. I didn't realize how much tension was in the room until I had calmed down.
About an hour after the epidural was in the nurse came to check me and I was ready to go. (yeah 6 hours? Thanks doc). I began pushing. Pushing was kind of uneventful and little long, because I couldn't feel anything. It took about 40 minutes and then my little boy was born. When they put him in my arms I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't believe I had a baby. That was the most surreal and amazing moment I've ever experienced.
5 comments:
Oh Katie and Steve, I'm so excited for you two! He's adorable, can't wait to see him in person!
It is so funny looking at your brother and sisters babies. I can totally see you in him. And you look like a natural mommy! OH, I can't wait to hold him at the end of the month!!!!! Congrats!
Grace is looking at your blog with me and she keeps on saying "My baby" I tell her that is Katie's baby and she gets all upset. She thinks he is pretty cute! I told her she could have Taylor when she comes out, but she say's "NO, Mine" she wants yours. :)
SO CUTE! Woo hoo! I'm so excited he is here! I need to come down and see you one of these days when you're all settled in! Congrats on a beautiful new baby!
He is so handsome! Congrats on having a good pregnancy, delivery, and having a sweet new member of your little family. We are excited to meet Spencer and see you two big people too. :-)
~Jennifer
Post a Comment