Spencer had his first choking experience on Sunday. We were at Steve's dads house to visit him and Paula and have a delicious dinner. They had put toys out for Spencer to play with (including a super cute book they bought for Spencer). He had been playing for almost an hour when all the sudden Paula noticed that Spencer put something in his mouth. Before anyone had time to get to him he had already swallowed it and was choking. Tim (Steve's dad) picked him up and was hitting his back while I was trying to fish it out but it wasn't working. I was keeping my calm until Steve said "he's turning blue" Then I was frantically trying to fish it out. I was so frantic I not only cut Spencer with my fingernail but also triggered his gag reflex and made him throw up. But he also swallowed the thing he had put in his mouth and was breathing again. We searched all over trying to figure out what he had swallowed when Tim finally found one and then three clear plastic pieces on the ground. Spencer had swallowed one of four pieces of plastic that had fit on the four corners of a picture frame to protect them from poking people before you put it on the wall. They had been put on the coffee table and accidentally bumped off. The sad thing is I noticed one out of the corner of my eye when we had first arrived but I thought it was just a little piece of paper so I didn't bother picking it up. If I had been a good mom and picked up the supposed piece of paper Spencer never would have choked. So lesson learned.
The Next worrying part was that it wasn't exactly round and smooth. I was worried it would get caught in his digestive track and cause major problems. So I had the extremely fun task of looking for it during his diaper changes. But luckily it came out just fine this morning. SO glad that's all over with.
Spencer Reading his new book (Yes it's upside down-but hey he's reading right?)
3 comments:
Katie, you are a marvelous mom, things happen sometimes, don't get down on yourself! We miss you guys! Can't wait until Christmas! Spencer sure is getting that big boy look!
I almost didn't read that, because it freaks me out. I hate it when things like that happen.
K...I am jelouse of all of his hair. Soo Cute!
That is way scary! One a totally different note, he is such a cutie!
Post a Comment