Spencer had his first day of Kindergarten today. I was way more nervous than he was. He is going to be riding the bus to school and I was assured that there would be lots of people around to make sure he got on the right bus to come home, but every time I asked about him getting to school it didn't seem like there was going to be anyone there to help him find his class. I was so worried and finally called my sister Amber at about 8:30 the night before and told her my concerns. She told me the first day I should drive him and make sure he gets where he is suppose to go so he won't be traumatized if he gets lost and I won't have to worry about sending my 5 year old into the world alone. Steve teased me and called me one of "those" moms. But I couldn't even sleep last night because I was so nervous. I woke up and decided to drive him. I felt better when one of our neighbor girls, who is in Spencer's class and also rides the bus, was outside when we were going out to the van and she said her mom was driving her today too. Plus when we got to school there was at least 2 dozen other parents there who had taken their kindergartners to school and were waiting where they were lining up for class so they could take pictures and make sure they got into class ok. So I text Steve a picture of it and said "See I am not 'one of those parents'" :) I was really glad I took him though because the Kindergarten classes were meeting on the complete opposite side of the school from where the bus drops them off and he wouldn't have known how to get there. As it was, I had to ask a monitor and she had to walk me over. The whole ride there Spencer was so annoyed he couldn't ride the bus though. We actually waited for the bus to come to his stop and followed it to school so we could see how many times it stopped and it's basic route. When the bus pulled into the school before us Spencer said, "See mom, if I had ridden the bus it would have been faster!" We were following it-of course it beat us! And when we found his class and he was lined up, I gave him a kiss and he said, "Ok you can leave now mom." Gee thanks son I love you too. He rode the bus home though with the 4 other kindergartners that live in our neighborhood and he loved it! I asked if he wanted to go back to the school later so we could practice finding his class for tomorrow. He said no he could find it and if he gets lost he'll just ask for help. Sniff sniff, he's so grown up. He loved his first day of school, especially the school library, he thought it was amazing the school had a library for some reason. He said he forgot to listen to his teacher one time but then he remembered. :) At home things were very quiet. I was talking to another mom at the bus stop when we were waiting for the kids to come home and she said both of her younger kids were crying when their brother left for school this morning. Rod loved every second of it. He got to use the ipad without Spencer trying to take it over. He had puzzle/mommy time. About 11:15 he said he was hungry and wanted to know if we could have lunch. I told him we were going to wait to have lunch until Spencer got home. He looked both ways and said, "Where's Spencer?" HE DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE HE HAD BEEN GONE ALL MORNING!! I laughed pretty hard at that.
Open House Night
His teacher Ms Holly
Ms Holly gave this to us at the Open House and asked the kids to draw themselves and bring it back the next day. Of course Spencer drew himself as Spiderman (with a "flying cape" so he looks extra cool)
First Day!
2 comments:
You are a great Mom!
I second dad, you're a pretty incredible mom. I can't believe Spencer is going to Kindergarten already....what a fun stage of life for you and him.
Post a Comment