Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Dad gets engaged

Copy of an email from dad on July 30, 2016:
"Dearest Children,

... the new love in my life (she has a wonderful Mom and Dad still healthy and going strong, three brothers and four sisters, and 23 nephews and nieces). We are announcing to our family that we are really serious about this and will probably be officially engaged sometime this week (we have to go ring shopping).

A little bit about Amy…she turns 49 on September 25th, is a 5th grade school teacher (the kids absolutely adore her), a returned missionary, has never been married because her standards are very high and she was being saved for me! She likes to travel like me. She wants to serve missions as a senior couple like me. She is currently serving as the Relief Society President in her home ward and is so loved by the people in her ward.

As you know, I fought the idea of remarriage for a couple years after Mom died. I was adamant that I WAS NOT going to remarry. But the Lord was patient with me and slowly changed my heart. I got really lonely going on all my trips. I could feel that I was only half a man. I had no purpose to live. I prayed that I would die an early death of a heart attack, or something.

But then, on a whim a few weeks ago I signed up for an LDS Singles website. The first day I signed up I saw Amy’s picture. I wasn’t sure I should even say anything to her because of our age difference. BUT SHE JUST GLOWED! And I knew she was someone who had the Spirit, so I took a chance and sent her an email (see below).

I am so happy now. I have a reason for LIVING again! I want to live as long as possible to make Amy happy and be there for her. We want to travel and go on missions. She will probably work for a few more years so we can get our house paid off and be in a good financial situation.

Amy is going into this relationship with eyes wide open. She knows that she may be a young widow. She knows there is a possibility that she may have to care for me when my health declines. But who knows, she may die of cancer next year. You never know what the Lord’s plan for us is.

Dear children, I pray that you all will be happy for me and support me in this decision. Your kids will have the most awesome Grandma!!! She knows she can never replace Vickie in your life or the grandchildren, but she will be an awesome addition to our family!!

We are currently looking at an October wedding, but may go later. We still need to work it out. More later. If you haven’t accepted AMY COOMBS as a Facebook friend, do it so you can see her other pictures. Let me know if the picture below doesn’t come through.

Love, Dad"


 They came up to Utah County to meet me and my family a few days later and got engaged on the grounds of the Provo City Center Temple.
It all happened very quickly (they sent their first message to each other on July 14th) but when it's meant to be it's meant to be. And we are so happy for the both of them.

No comments: