Getting ready for Christmas this year was interesting but ended up being fun. Steve and I used to have a lot of our stuff stored at my parent's house but when my dad moved to St. George in April we moved it all into a storage unit. It took a lot longer than we thought it would to move it all over, so by the end we were so tired my dad and Steve just stuffed it all into the storage unit and we were grateful it was done. Unfortunately we probably should have taken an extra 15 minutes and strategically placed the items in the unit. Our washer and dryer and huge buckets of food storage are in the front and all the tubs of things I'd actually want to get to are in the back. I was able to reach the Halloween stuff after 20 minutes of taking down and putting back up food storage buckets but the Christmas tote was a lost cause. I was able to reach the tree and a wreath but that was it. We had an extra strand of lights and our manger scene stored in our apartment and that was the total of our Christmas decor. I really didn't want to spend money on things I already had so I decided to give myself a challenge. Make all of our Christmas ornaments with things we already had or were free. We gathered pine cones from the SUU campus and used sparkles, white computer paper, fish line, and old plastic bottle to make snow-covered pine cones, snowflakes and icicle ornaments for the tree.
We bought some Dollar Tree stockings and poinsettia and called it good.
Spencer had his Preschool Christmas Program a couple weeks before Christmas. It was a crazy night! Our cub scout pack meeting was the same night and our regular scout leaders couldn't do it, so I volunteered to be in charge (forgetting it was the same night as the program). When I realized I had double booked myself I panicked but then I thought "It'll still work out. The program is at 6 and pack meeting is at 7 so I'll just go straight from the program." Then at 5:40pm I was just finishing up getting everything ready to put into the car for pack meeting and get the boys dressed for the program when all the sudden it hit me "Wait a mintue! Pack meeting is at 6 not 7!!!! Ahhh!!!" I totally panicked. I was not going to miss Spencer's program, but I couldn't leave 10 families sitting there with nothing to do. Luckily I was able to call another leader and she was willing to leave right then to meet me at the church to set up everything and conduct the meeting. On my way out the door though one of our tenants was there and said he had hit one of the cars in the parking lot and was wondering if he could get the name and number of the owner. I looked and it was my car. Of course. Luckily it didn't damage anything major, he just hit the back corner. So we had to replace the tail light, but I was able to drive it ok. Long story short, the pack meeting ended up going great but because of the car accident I was late for the program. I missed the first 3 songs but as you can see from the pictures below- I didn't miss much. Spencer just stood there and looked around. Every once in a while he would attempt to sing or do the movements but mostly just stood or picked his nose. There were 2 kids missing that were suppose to be in front of him so to make it even more awkward it looked like he was standing off to the side. But it was still cute!
In our Christmas tote we also have an advent calendar I inherited from my mom. Since we didn't have one I decided to make up one. I talk about this a little later in the "Spencer Said part 3" post. It was a count down to Christmas with service or random acts of Kindness to help us remember the true meaning of Christmas. We called them our "presents to Jesus". Spencer loved doing it and it was a great reminder to me.
A sample of what we did.







No comments:
Post a Comment