Monday, September 28, 2015

Rod Happenings



4/17/15:
We were getting into the car at the store and Rod saw a guy with a big beard. He got excited and started yelling, “Uncle Scott! Hi Uncle Scott!”
Me, “That’s not Uncle Scott.”
Rod, “Not Uncle Scott? Who is it?”
Me, “Just some guy with a beard.”
As we were pulling out Rod waves and says, “Bye Uncle- I mean- bye guy.”

5-6-15:
Rod is literally afraid of his own shadow. We were on my bed reading books by lamp light and he stood up and was pretending to be a giant. The lamp light made his shadow really big on the wall behind. I said, “Look Rod it’s a giant shadow!” He turned, saw the shadow, eyes got wide and he immediately sat down and hugged my arm. He thought it was a real giant shadow. We tried to show him it was just a fun shadow trick. We had a teddy bear do a shadow and Spencer and Steve did their shadows and did hand shadows but he was still really scared. We read more books and when it was time to go to bed I told him to run and go to Steve but he wouldn’t get up. He just kept hugging my arm and looking at the wall behind him apprehensively. He was afraid to stand up because he didn’t want to see his shadow. So Steve came over and picked him up and Rod watched the wall the whole way out of the room.  He wouldn’t go to sleep that night because he was afraid of the shadows in his room. And then about 2 am I heard him calling me. I went in and he said, “Mom is there a giant?” and then asked if he could sleep in my bed. I felt bad so we made him a little bed on the floor next to my bed. He was still afraid so I rubbed his back until he finally fell asleep. The next night he was still afraid to go to bed because of the giant so Spencer offered to sleep in his bed with him to “protect him and keep him safe.”

7-17-15:
Whenever I ask Spencer where something of his is (toothbrush, shoes etc.) he always says, “I had it in my hand and then *POOF it was gone!” Rod watches and listens to everything Spencer does and says and tries to copy most of it. Today I was asking Rod where something was and he said, “I don’t know. I had it in my hand and then POOP!” 


9/15/15: Rod was on the back porch playing. I walked by and he was standing on a little step stool looking out into the back yard and I heard him say in a loud, low voice, “Ladies and Gentleman…. (looks both ways) Where are you?”