11/6/15:
Spencer has his first crush (and heartbreak). We have a neighbor girl
named Charlotte that rides the bus with Spencer and is in his kindergarten
class. I’ve suspected he had a crush on her for a while but he finally
confirmed it today. A few weeks ago he started making disappointed comments
like, Charlotte didn’t want to play with him, Charlotte doesn’t laugh sometimes
when he says funny things, or that he said she was as beautiful as a princess
but she didn’t think he was as handsome as prince (she said he was as handsome
as a superhero-which apparently is not very handsome). Then he started making a
lot of notes and pictures for her so “she would like him”. Today after lunch he
started drawing a picture for Charlotte and he started telling me in a really
sad voice, “I told Charlotte I would babysit her parakeet if she ever went out
of town but she said she didn’t want me to, that Tayton ( Tayton is a boy in
their class and whenever he says Tayton’s name he says it with a lot of
disdain) was going to babysit her parakeet. And then I told her when we were
teenagers I was going to take her out on a date. But she said she didn’t want
to go on a date with me because she was going to go on a date with Tayton. Mom why does she like Tayton
more than me?”
Then later in the day I told Spencer that Steve and I were going to go
on a date and grandma was going to babysit him.
Spencer said, “I thought only
teenagers went on dates.”
Me, “Nope. Grownups go on dates too.”
Spencer, “I don’t care what Charlotte says, I’m going to take her on a
date when we’re teenagers….if she doesn’t go with Tayton.”
Me, “Why do you want to go on a date with Charlotte so bad?”
Spencer, “Because I love her. I’m probably going to marry either
Charlotte or Afton” (Afton is Charlotte’s 7 yr old sister).
Me, “Do you love Afton too?”
Spencer, *Sigh “Yes.”
Oh boy.
11/18/15: We were watching the movie Monsters University and out of nowhere
Spencer says, “Mom, do you think Mike Wazowski is like Kai’s mom? Because she
is shorter than you and Mike Wazowski is shorter than everyone too.”
I told the family this one and Amber found the perfect Christmas PJ's for Krista. She was a really good sport about it.
I told the family this one and Amber found the perfect Christmas PJ's for Krista. She was a really good sport about it.
1/1/16: Just overheard a conversation between Spencer and another boy
in our neighborhood. Spencer doesn’t love playing with this boy. He tried to be
friends with him but the boy can be pretty mean to Spencer and Rod and plays
really rough. He kept hurting Spencer (Physically and emotionally) and most of
the time Spencer and/or Rod would end up in tears by the end of their time
together. I had to have a lot of conversations with Spencer about standing up
for yourself, standing up for your brother and standing up for what is right,
while still being kind. I’ve had to step in several times but I’ve tried to let
Spencer figure things out and handle things on his own in his social
interactions with his peers. (Which is so hard to do!) He came up to me about a
month ago and said he decided he didn’t want to be friends with this boy
anymore because he’s mean to him and acts like a bully and he doesn’t like how
he feels when he plays with him. I told him he doesn’t have to friends with
him, but he still needs to be nice to him and be a good example to him about
how to play kindly if they do ever play together. He’s handled the situation
with this boy by playing with other friends instead and politely (we had to
work on this at first) telling the boy, thank you, but he doesn’t want to play
right now, when he comes over and asks.
So this is the conversation I overhead today: The boy came to the door
to see if Spencer wanted to play (he had actually been over earlier and Spencer
did invite him in to play but within 15 minutes Spencer was in tears and the
boy left because he didn’t want to play anymore). Spencer told him he couldn’t
play with him because he was just on his way out to see if Charlotte and Afton
wanted to play. The boy said the girls probably didn’t want to play because
they were building a snow castle. Then the boy said he had a secret to tell
Spencer. Then he very loudly whispered, “Me and [some other boys in the
neighborhood] are going to knock down their castle!”
Spencer looked really worried. He has built 2 snowmen in this
neighborhood and they have both been knocked down (probably by these same
boys). I almost said something to the boy, but was so glad I didn’t because
then Spencer said,
“You shouldn’t knock down their castle. That will really make them
sad.”
Boy, “But they aren’t doing it right! I told them they had to do it
different because they won’t be able to put a roof on it, but they didn’t
listen so I’m going to knock it down.”
Spencer, “How would you feel if you built a castle and they knocked it
down? Would you like that?”
Boy, “I wouldn’t built a castle because I don’t like castles.”
Spencer, “Well, what if they broke one of your toys that really really
loved? Wouldn’t you be sad?”
And then the boy went into this whole thing about how they could never
do that because he has a special laser scanner alarm on his house so only he
can get it (which Spencer didn’t believe.) So finally Spencer said, “Well I
don’t think you should knock it down, I think that would be really mean.” Then
he opened the door for the boy and as politely as a 6 year old can said, “Ok
well bye, Thanks for coming over.”
1/22/16
Spencer was holding Jeffrey. He had my nursing (u-shaped) pillow on his
lap and then the baby nestled in it. So he could hold him without any assistance.
After a while Spencer started making comments about how warm the baby was.
“It’s like a blanket because he’s right on my lap. It’s like a baby blanket…
but a REAL baby blanket.”
4/12/16
We were having dinner and started talking about what our dream day
would be, if we could do anything we wanted all day. Spencer and Rod told us
theirs and then Spencer started guessing what the rest of our dream days would
be. He was pretty close with Steve (that he would sleep in and watch movies)
and then when he got to me he said, “Probably just do laundry all day.”
9/10/16
Spencer got a new Lego set and wanted his neighbor friend Michael to
help him put it together. He went and asked Michael if he could come over but
Michael had to finish his chores first. Spencer waited for about a half hour
but started getting impatient. He felt guilty doing it without Michael so he
decided to build one small part and then wait to finish the rest when his
friend got there. He was having a hard time getting one piece to fit correctly
and after trying several times said, “Maybe Heavenly Father is not helping me with
this because he wants me to wait for Michael…Oh wait I got it. Never mind
Heavenly Father is ok with me building it without him.”
Then Rod, who was at the table watching Spencer build, pipes in, “Maybe
Heavenly Father wasn’t helping you because he had to finish his chores at
his magical house in Heaven first.”
9/12/16
It was time to do homework and Spencer said he didn’t want to because it
was so boring. I told Spencer to get used to it because he would have to do homework
the rest of his life. I explained that even when he’s done with school if he
has kids he’ll have to help them with their homework.
Spencer said, “No, cause I’ll just convince my wife to do it and I can
sit and play video games like Dad does.”

No comments:
Post a Comment