Saturday, January 21, 2017

Working our way into winter...

 I have a new nephew!
 Phillip Austen Oliver was born October 25, 2016. 
(Rod gets to share a birthday with his cousin)
 First snow. Should I feel guilty that I make my kids play outside by themselves, while I stay inside drinking hot cocoa?
 This was after only 1 month!! Apparently we need to invest in better shoes from now on.
 Gingerbread house village for Family Night

 First snowman of the season
 Spencer reading to Rod
 I thought I had been a mom long enough and seen how hard it was, that I was over the judging and comparing and shaming and guilt that so often accompanies parenthood. but about a week ago I started doing one of those "When I have kids I'll never..." things.  I cut the crust off of my 4 yr old's sandwich. Rod is by far the least picky eater in our house. He will eat just about anything, but he does not like crust. I was sick of the fights and wasted bread so I gave in, cut the crust off, ate it myself, and had a very happy boy who ate his entire sandwich. I felt really guilty/ashamed about it for some reason. That I was pampering my son and not forcing him to deal with the crust. But you what what? When you have kids (especially 4 yr olds) there are about 500 battles a day to fight, and this was one I was not going to waste my time and energy on any longer. He has many years ahead to deal with the crusts of life. I need to focus on the battles that really matter (like him punching his older brother) instead of nit picking myself into a depression. I'm a good mom, with good kids. Period.

 Went to see our friend Jarom Brown who was playing the "Ghost of Christmas Present" in a Christmas Carol. I had never seen the play version- it was really good.
 December Preschool Class. All the kids trying to fit into my Santa's Bag.
 This was right after my preschool class. Whew, kids are tiring sometimes.
 First big snow storm. Picture didn't turn out great, but so pretty watching it next to our Christmas tree.


 Gingerbread cookies. It's almost Christmas!
 Mario mustache
2nd big snow storm on top of un-melted 1st big snow storm.

 Steve took the boys out and built s snow sculpture (Pikachu)

 I know the years with young kids can be hard, but I personally love it! What other time in our lives will my kids think Steve is the best dad in the world for playing in the snow with them, and that I am the best mom in the world for letting them stay in pj's, lick the banana bread bowl and eat their ginger bread houses? Enjoying the journey!

 
 3rd snow storm! (all three snow storms in a 5 day period) So much snow!!





 Preschool Pizza party! It was actually a really fun day. Even I enjoyed it.

 We recreated the book 'Pete's a Pizza'. Rod being put in the "oven" to cook. And the pizza maker tickling the pizza.

  Preschool Christmas Party
There was an article I saw recently that was talking about the dangers of always trying to have a "picture perfect" life. So when Rod took my phone and started taking picture's while he was sitting in the bathtub watching me scrub the toilet and then got out and took pictures of my messy room, I decided to keep them. So, posterity- my life is not perfect. But it is happy.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I love reading your blog! Yu keep it so real and relatable. I may have to use your crust story in a talk someday!