Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Andrea Oliver

Andrea Oliver
Born on her due date - October 23, 2018
12:52 am. 8 lb 6 Oz. 19.5 inches long.
It's kind of hard to tell in the pictures but Andrea had such a dramatic entrance, her cheeks and nose were all bruised. She had to have a sign taped in her bassinet that said "my face is bruised" because it made her look blue, like she was wasn't getting enough oxygen.



Rod was more interested in my food than the baby.

Spencer was in love.
Jeffrey just kept shushing her everytime she made a peep.

Snack I was given after delivery:
If birth stories are tmi then don't continue on. If not, enjoy:
I had a doctor's appointment at 4:30pm on Monday, Oct 22. He said I was dilated to a 3 and everything was still pretty tight in there so he did not foresee me going into labor before my induction scheduled for Wednesday. So I went home majorly disappointed. About 6pm I started having random contractions, but nothing different than what I'd had the last couple weeks. But by 7ish they started to feel differently than my Braxton hicks but were super sporadic. Then suddenly at 9 (thankfully after the kids were in bed) they started feeling really uncomfortable and coming more often. So I started timing and for an hour straight they were 3 minutes apart. I wasn't sure if this was for real but since my last two I delivered were really fast I decided to head to the hospital just in case and see how I felt once we got there. I figured we could go in or just walk / drive around for a while depending on how I was feeling. But by the time we got there the contractions were strong enough I couldn't talk through them anymore so we went straight in. They checked me and I was at a 3. Which means they couldn't admit me (you have to be at least a 4 or show progession). So they let me stay for an hour and said they would check me again and if I had progressed at all they would admit me. An hour later the nurse comes back in- still a 3. So usually they would send the person home but because of my history (my last two babies were born about an hour after check in) my nurse was afraid to send me home. So we called the doctor, who was sleeping downstairs, and he wanted to come up and start me on pitocin and break my water but I really wanted to go on my own. I had really painful contractions with Spencer and pitocin and I knew I probably wouldn't have time for an epidural so I didn't want that. I asked if I could just walk around a bit and see if that helped. The doctor said that was fine so the nurse said to walk the halls for an hour and then would check me again. So at 12:35 I started walking and the contractions got more and more intense. By the end of 15 minutes the contractions were so intense I bending over the railing in the hallway because it hurt so bad. Steve had been asking for the last 5 minutes if I wanted to head back, he could see the contractions were getting bad, but I kept saying no because it had only been 10 minutes and I didn't want them to check me again just to have it still be a 3. But by 15 minutes I could barely stand it was so bad. I said to Steve we better go back and and get checked again and right then the mother-load hit and my water broke. I could tell it was time to push. So I told Steve to run and get a nurse and I was just standing there yelling "someone help me!" I was was thinking I might have to get on the hall floor and deliver right there. The nurses ran down and asked if I could walk but I couldn't so they ran and got a wheel chair and I sat down and started yelling cause I was all of the sudden in SO much pain. I heard the nurse say "she's crowning!" They didn't want me to deliver in the hall so one nurse held the baby's head while the other ran me to the room. They asked if I could get into bed or be lifted but I was in so much pain I couldn't even move. But then I felt a big relief of pressure and they said the head was out. The nurse told me 2 big pushes to get the body out. I did two big pushes and body was out. I was still in the wheel chair, no doctors around, just my amazing nurses. They put the baby on my lap, clamped and cut the umbilical cord. Then helped me get into bed, and everyone laughed with relief. The on call doctor came in a minute later to deliver the placenta (my doctor was downstairs asleep, completely unaware of what was going on. It all happened so fast no one had time to call him. My nurse said my water broke at 12:50am and baby was born at 12:52am. It felt like forever but it was only 2 mins! And I went from a 3 to a baby in 20 mins. My doctor came in about 20 mins later and said sorry he wasn't there :) 
It was all pretty traumatic, but she was such a beautiful, perfect baby girl. It was all worth it. 

No comments: